- PMI, is marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- The Project Management Professional (PMP®) is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- PMBOK® Guide is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- The Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM®) is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- The PMI Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.) is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- The PMI Registered Consultancy Provider (R.C.P.) is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
1. Project managers have the highest level of authority and the most power in which type of organizational structure?
B. Strong matrix
D. Balanced matrix
2.All of the following are characteristics of a project EXCEPT?
B. Definite beginning and end
C. Interrelated activities
D. Repeats itself every month.
3. You have been assigned to a project that will allow job seekers to fill out applications and submit them via the company website. You report to the VP of human resources. You are also responsible for screening applications for the information technology division and setting up interviews. The project coordinator has asked for the latest version of your changes to the online application page for his review. Which organizational structure do you work in?
A. Functional organization
B. Weak matrix organization
C. Projectized organization
D. Balanced matrix organization
4. Which of the following is NOT an input to the initiating process group?
D.Project scope statement
5. You are refining the product description for your company’s new line of ski boots. Which of the following statements is true?
A. You are in the Initiating processes of your project and know that the product description will contain more detail in this stage and that a decreasing amount of detail will be added to it as the project progresses.
B. You are in the Planning processes of your project and know that the product description will contain less detail in this stage and greater detail as the project progresses. C. You are in the Planning processes of your project and know that the product description should contain the most detail possible at this stage, because this is critical information for the Planning process.
D. You are in the Initiating process of your project and know that the product description will contain less detail in this stage and greater detail as the project progresses.
6. You’ve just completed the WBS. Which of the following statements is true?
A. The WBS breaks the project deliverables down to a level where alternatives identification can be used to determine how level-two assignments should be made.
B. The WBS breaks the project deliverables down to a level where project constraints and assumptions can be easily identified.
C. The WBS breaks the project deliverables down to the work package level, where product analysis can be documented.
D. The WBS breaks the project deliverables down to the work package level, where cost and time estimates can be easily determined.
7. A project manager has just received a change from the customer that does not affect the project schedule and is easy to complete. What should the project manager do First?
A.Make the change happen as soon as possible
B.Contact the project sponsor for permission
C.Go to the change control board
D.Evaluate the impacts on other project constraints
8.Which of the following is true about the project charter?
A. The project charter is signed by the Project Manager.
B. The project charter is generated as an output of Develop Project Management plan process.
C. The project charter includes the detailed schedule of the project.
D. Project charter includes a high level view of project requirements, budget and milestones.
9. The project manager meets with the project team to review lessons learned from previous projects. In what activity is the team involved?
D.Project team status meeting
10. You are using the Three-Point Estimating technique to estimate the duration of the scheduled activity. Which of the following statements are true given the following data? Pessimistic: 200 days Optimistic: 100 days Most likely: 120 days Average: 140 days Variance: 466.66
A.The calculation were performed assuming a triangular distribution.
B.The calculation were performed assuming a beta distribution.
C.The calculation were performed assuming a uniform distribution.
D.Not enough information is provided.
11. With respect to the cost quality, which of the following individuals was responsible for developing the “zero-defects” approach?
12. You have recently been assigned to provide an accurate project schedule for a large construction project. You are evaluating the network diagram for the construction project. Using Three Point Estimating techniques, you lead engineer has given you the following completion estimates for several critical path activities, assuming a beta distribution model. Based on the table below, which of the following statements are true? Activity Optimistic Pessimistic Most Likely Expected Value Std. Dev. SD Squared Task A 5 18 10 10.50 2.17 4.69 Task B 28 61 40 41.50 5.50 30.25 Task C 10 33 18 19.17 3.83 14.69 Totals 71.17 49.64
A.There is approx. a 50 percent chance the project will complete between 64 days and 78 days.
B.There is approx. a 95 percent chance the project will complete between 64 days and 78 days.
C.There is approx. a 99 percent chance the project will complete between 64 days and 78 days.
D.There is approx. a 95 percent chance the project will complete between 57 days and 85 days.
13. Which of the following statements is true regarding the critical path?
A. It should not be compressed.
B. It allows for looping and branching.
C. The critical path technique is the same as PERT.
D. It’s the duration of all tasks with zero float.
14. You are the project manager working on a research project for a new drug treatment. Your preliminary project schedule runs past the due date for a federal grant application. The manager of the R&D department has agreed to release two resources to work on your project in order to meet the federal grant application date. This is an example of ___________________.
B. fast tracking
C. resource leveling
D. adjusting the resource calendar
15. You are the project manager for a custom home-building construction company. You are working on the model home project for the upcoming Show Homes Tour. The model home includes Internet connections in every room, talking appliances, and wiring for home theaters.You are working on the cost performance baseline for this project. All of the following statements are true except which one?
A. This process aggregates the estimated costs of project activities, including risks and contingency reserves.
B. The cost performance baseline will be used to measure variances and future project performance.
C. This process assigns cost estimates for expected future period operating costs.
D. The cost performance baseline is the time-phased budget at completion for the project.
16. You are constructing a probability and impact matrix for your project. Which of the following statements is true?
A. The probability and impact matrix multiplies the risk’s probability by the cost of the impact to determine an expected value of the risk event.
B. The probability and impact matrix multiplies the risk’s probability—which fall from 0.0 to 1.0—and the risk’s impact for each potential outcome and then adds the result of the potential outcomes together to determine a risk score.
C. The probability and impact matrix are predetermined thresholds that use the risk’s probability multiplied by the impact of the risk event to determine an overall risk score.
D. The probability and impact matrix multiplies the risk’s probability by the risk impact— which both fall from 0.0 to 1.0—to determine a risk score.
17. Lag means:
A.The amount of time an activity can be delayed without delaying the project finish date.
B.The amount of time an activity can be delayed without delaying the early start date of its successor
D.The product of a forward and backward pass.
18. Your best cost estimate for an activity is $200,000,but the estimate you document has a range of $100,000 to $400,000.This ranged estimate represent a(n):
C.Order of magnitude estimate
19. After measuring expected project benefits, management has four projects from which to choose. Project 1 has a net present value of $100,000 and will cost $ 50,000.Project 2 has a net present value of $ 200,000 and will cost $ 75,000. Project 3 has a net present value of $ 500,000 and will cost $400,000. Project 4 has a net value of $ 125,000 and will cost $ 25.000. Which project would be BEST?
20. Your stakeholders have asked for an analysis of the cost risk. All of the following are true except for which one?
A. Monte Carlo analysis is the preferred method to use to determine the cost risk.
B. Monte Carlo analysis is a modeling technique that computes project costs one time.
C. A traditional work breakdown structure can be used as an input variable for the cost analysis.
D. Monte Carlo usually expresses its results as probability distributions of possible costs.
21. You are the project manager for the Heart of Texas casual clothing company. It’s introducing a new line of clothing called Black Sheep Ranch Wear. You will outsource the production of this clothing line to a vendor. The vendor has requested a contract SOW. All of the following statements are true except for which one?
A. The SOW contains a description of the new clothing line.
B. As the purchaser, you are required to write the SOW.
C. The SOW contains the objectives of the project.
D. The vendor requires a SOW to determine whether it can produce the clothing line given the detailed specifications of this product.
22. Which logical relationship does the PDM use most often?
23. A project manager had a complex problem to solve and made a decision about what needed to be done. A few months later, the problem resurfaced. What did the project manager Most likely not do?
A. Proper risk analysis
B. Confirm that the decision solved the problem
C. Have the project sponsor validate the decision
D. Use an Ishikawa diagram
24. The tools and techniques of the Request Seller Responses process include all of the following except which one?
A. Bidder conferences
B. Information technology
D. Develop qualified sellers list
25. You have just taken over as the project manager for a new runway for a major airport. The project is already in progress, and there are over 200 identified stakeholders on the project. You want to know how to communicate these stakeholders. Where should you be able to find this information?
A. It depends on the type of project
B. The stakeholders management plan
C. The communications management plan
D. Communication requirements.
26. The risks of financial gain or loss are called _________.
27. Planning meetings and analysis are used in which progress?
A.As part of Manage Stakeholders Expectations
B.As part of Perform Quantitative Risk Analysis
C.As part of Plan Risk Responses
D.As part of Plan Risk Management
28. You are reporting on project elements such as schedule status, deliverables completion, lessons learned, and resource utilization. Which of the following outputs of the Direct and Manage Project Execution does this describe?
A. Project management plan updates
C. Preventive action
D. Work performance information
29. Which of the following is a chief characteristic of the Delphi technique?
A.Extrapolation from historical records from previous projects
C.Analytical hierarchy process
30. Mathematical models using linear, dynamic, integer, or algorithm models are considered
A. Project selection criteria
B. A form of expert judgement
C. Project selection methods
D. A form of historical information
31. The project manager has the greatest influence over quality during which process?
A. Quality Planning
B. Quality Assurance
C. Quality Control
D. Quality Change Control
32. Theory Y managers believe which of the following?
A. People are motivated only by money, power, or position.
B. People will perform their best if they’re given proper motivation and expectations.
C. People are motivated to achieve a high level of competency.
D. People are motivated by expectation of good outcomes
33.The primary objective of contract negotiations is to?
A.Get the most from the other side33. The primary objective of contract negotiations is to?
B.Protect the relationship
C.Get the biggest monetary team
D.Define objectives and stick to them
34. Which of the following activities occurs during the Plan Procurements process?
B.Answering sellers’ questions about the bid documents
35. According the PMBOK® Guide, this system centrally manages approved changes and baselines within a project.
A. Records management system
B. Change control system
C. Work authorization system
D. Configuration management system
36. The contract type that represents the highest risk to the seller is:
A.Fixed price plus incentive
D.Cost reimbursable plus incentive
37. You are a project manager of a company and your project is currently in execution phase. The customer has requested you for additional work. This work will affect the budget, but not the schedule of the project. What should you do next?
A.Add the additional requirements to the project plan.
B.Ignore the request.
C.Explain the change procedure and ask to submit a request for change.
D.Discuss with the project team about the change
38. You have just taken over a project that is executing the work packages. As you review the status of the project, you become aware that the previous project manager reported milestones as being hit that have not been reached. Additionally, the CPI is 0.88 and the SPI is 0. 81. Management is unaware of all these factors. What should you do?
A.Crash the schedule to try to get things back in line
B.Explain the revised status to management
C.Refuse to take on this project assignment
D.Ask the key stakeholders for direction.
39. You are a project manager working on contract. You’ve performed earned value analysis and discovered that the project will be completed on time and under the original estimated amount. This means the profit to your company will decrease as will your personal bonus. Which of the following should you do?
A.Add activities to the project to increase the cost enough to meet the original estimated amount.
B.Tell the customer you’re adding requirements to the project that were originally cut because of cost constraints.
C.Upon completion, inform the customer the project has come in under budget.
D.Bill the customer for the full amount of the contract because this was the original agreed upon price.
40. As you have a PMP® certification, you will be required to comply with the PMP® Code of Professional Conduct. This code refers to all of the following except which one?
A.Reporting conflicts of interest
B.Reporting experience and PMP® status truthfully
C.Complying with the stakeholder requirements
D.Complying with the rules and standards of foreign countries